General Election Information

Voter Registration

The deadline for voter registration is 15 days before any election. To vote in the next election, the Auditor must receive your registration card by this deadline.

You can register to vote if you:

  • are a citizen of the United States
  • are 18 years of age or older before the next election
  • are a resident of South Dakota
  • are not under a sentence of imprisonment for any felony conviction
  • have not been judged mentally incompetent by a court of law

Precincts and Wards

Residents are only able to vote in the ward they are registered in. If you move within the City, and want to vote in your new ward, a new registration form needs to be submitted.

North Sioux City is divided into two precincts consisting of two wards each. The two wards in Precinct 11 are designated as Ward 1 and 2 and two wards in Precinct 12 are designated as Ward 3 and 4. To determine your ward, refer to the:

City's Ward Map Secretary of State's Voter Portal

Example of Results


Registration Form

Voter registration forms are available at City Hall, or you can download and print a registration form from the Secretary of State website. Completed forms may be dropped at City Hall to be mailed to Union County Auditor's office.

Registration cards postmarked on the 15th day do not qualify as being received by the deadline. Forms submitted the last day of registration must be mailed by the City or personally delivered to the Auditor's office to be eligible to vote.

Visit the Secretary of State website for any other questions regarding South Dakota Elections and Voter Registration.

You may register at any of the following locations:

  • Union County Auditor's Office, 209 E Main Street, Suite 200, Elk Point, SD 57025
  • Finance Office in City Hall, 504 River Drive, North Sioux City, SD 57049
  • Drivers License Station
  • Public assistance agencies providing food stamps, TANF or WIC
  • Department of Human Services offices which provide assistance to the disabled
  • Military Recruitment
  • Secretary of State's Office
  • downloaded registration card from

General Questions

You may contact the Finance Officer at City Hall or the Union County Auditor for any questions you may have.